Last night my father and I made homemade butter piecrusts and pie fillings, and here are a couple recipes to make some beautiful homemade pies your family (or anyone) will love.
Crust Recipe: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/perfect_pie_crust/
2 Crust Recipe’s basically made 3 crusts
Pumpkin Pie (Makes 2 pumpkin pies) http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php
(I slightly altered the recipe)
· a pie pumpkin (see step 1; you can use different types of pumpkin or even a butternut squash)
· 3 cups Pureed pumpkin glop (Preferably fresh, but canned works) (metric: 0.7 litre)
· 1.5 cups sugar (see step 10 for alternatives) (metric: 200 grams)
· 1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon (metric: 3.8 grams)
· 1 teaspoon ground cloves (metric: 2 grams)
· 1 teaspoon ground allspice (metric: 2 grams)
· 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (metric: 1.25 grams)
· 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional) (metric: 20 grams)
· 4 large eggs –
· 12 oz. of Whole Milk or ½ & ½ (Evaporated Milk works too)
1. After making the crust, place crust in your pie pan.
2. Heat oven to 425o
3. Mix above ingredients in a mixing bowl until a consistent texture.
4. Pour filling into crust and carefully place in oven.
5. Cook at 425 for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 350 for 45-60 minutes.
6. The pie is done when you can stick a clean knife in the pie and pull it out pretty clean
7. Enjoy warm or cool.
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe found at http://divascancook.com/2009/11/southern-homemade-sweet-potato-pie-recipe-so-easy-so-delicious.html
The Sweet Potato Filling
2 cups sweet potatoes (I used 3 medium-large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
Freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly grated ginger
1 Tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.) Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and fill with water just until it covers them. Bring to a boil and boil for 45 -50 minutes or until they are fork tender.
2.) When done, let cool and then remove the skin. It should peel off very easily.
3.) Place peeled sweet potatoes in bowl and break it up with a fork.
4.) Use a mixer to mix the sweet potatoes until smooth and creamy.
5.) Add in butter and mix to combine.
6.) Add in sugars, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and flour. Beat until mixture is smooth. It may be a lil speckled, don’t worry it won’t be that way when it’s done.
7.) Pour into prepared pie crust and back for 55- 60 minutes. (don’t be alarmed if the pie puffs up while cooking. It will sink down) Let cool on the counter for about 30 minutes and then let chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours to fully set.
Earth Wind & Fire
Don’t forget to follow the blog so you get notified when I post new recipes. I hope you enjoy the pie recipe and have a Happy Thanksgiving!