After the buffalo risotto I made the other night, I was left with a half pound of ground buffalo in the fridge and no idea what I would do with it.
Extremely hungry and looking at the possibility of a 10 p.m. dinner at 9, a friend and I decided to try our hand at spicy cabbage wraps with a quick pickle garnish. We tried our best to get a good Thai flavor in our meat by seasoning it with ginger, garlic and cayenne, among other things.
This recipe was extremely easy and improvised, and can really be made with anything.
Buffalo Meat Seasoning
1/2 lb. Ground Buffalo Meat
Generous amount of Fresh Ginger (Grated)
5 Cloves Fresh Garlic (Minced)
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 tsp Oregano
2 tsp Salt
3/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 Cup Water
2 Tbsp Honey
1 Tsp Sea Salt
1 Clove of Garlic
1/2 Medium Onion
6 Cabbage Leaves (Peeled carefully from them cabbage head to avoid rips)
2-3 Greens of Spring Onion (Diced)
3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
1. Mix the buffalo with the seasonings in a small bowl so the spices are well mixed.
2. Combine the sliced onions and 2 of the cabbage leaves (sliced) in your pickling fluid with should be simmering before hand. Simmer it for about 15 minutes.
2. Steam 4 of the Cabbage leaves for about 45 seconds and not much longer.
3. Melt the butter in a pan and brown the bison in it.
4. Once the Buffalo is browned, combine it with your sliced green onion in your cabbage leaves, and garnish with your pickled onions.